Finding purpose and Clarity 5
One of the most popular questions people ask is 'what' is my purpose? Perhaps that has been your question too. In this article, I'll be sharing with you some keys to answering that question.
WHAT
Although, a lot of detail could be caregorized as the 'What' of purpose, it can actually be summarized into two: The general purpose of man and the specific purpose of man.
The general purpose of man
This is the major part of the purpose of any man and is applicable to all men- man or woman, tall or short, black or white, rich or poor. Irrespective of our individual differences, there is a portion of purpose that applies to us all and is the same for everyone.
I once mentioned in an earlier part of this series that "to understand the purpose of a thing, we need to consult it's source/manufacturer" (This is the reason why it is impossible to ask the question of purpose if you do not believe in God).
The beginning of anything (and the events surrounding it) usually carries key details vital to defining it or it's purpose. And so, if we truly desire to know the purpose of man, we must go to his very beginning.
The primary source of knowledge about the general purpose of all men is the Holy Bible.
In the book of the beginnings, we find an account of the beginning of man. On looking closely enough at this account, we can find the general purpose of all men hidden in-between the lines. Stay with me as we consider it together.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:26(KJV)
Let's consider a few key words here:
Image
In ancient times, statues were built in order to honor great men who accomplished great feats. From the golden statue of Nebuchadnezzar in ancient Babylon to the marble sculpture of Abraham Lincoln in Washington, these works of art had something in common- the statue always gave glory to the man whose image it bore. We were made in God's image so that we may give glory to him and thus, our lives must continually point men back to God.
Giving him glory means giving pleasure to God. Until all that we do and represent gives glory to God, we fail in fulfilling purpose.
Likeness
God created man to live, function, act and even speak like him.
I once asked a class I taught this question, "If God were to come down as a man, what would his life look like?" Some said he would be so powerful he would be able to do anything he wants, another said he will be so handsome and his clothes will shine. After hearing many funny descriptions, I finally said to them "God has actually come down as a man before and that man was (and is) JESUS". Jesus Christ demystified Godliness (what it means for a man to live like God, 1 Timothy 3:16). If we also will live in the likeness of God, our lives must be patterned according to the life of Christ.
Thus, we must strive daily to conform to the image and likeness of Jesus for he is our perfect model.
Dominion
The Dominion mandate predates the very creation of man. This is the first reference God made to what man would actually do. Let them have dominion was God putting the earth in the stewardship of man.
Part of what this meant in practical terms was revealed in Genesis 1:28.
When God said Let them have dominion, God was saying:
- Be fruitful (Increase/grow and Increase/grow things)
- Multiply (Reproduce and reproduce things)
- Replenish the Earth (Don't stay in a single location, spread out, expand into new territories, fill the earth)
- Subdue the Earth (Overcome all opposition, bring under control)
You were made to grow things
You were made to multiply things
You were made to expand things into new territories
You were made to overcome all opposition against your mandate.
Now fix in what you have in hand (e.g business, career, family, that talent/gift God gave you) in place of things in the above. Awesome right!!! And this is just a scratch on the surface of what the Dominion mandate means.
I can go on and on showing many aspects of the general purpose of man from the book of Genesis. I'll recommend that you take out time to study the book of Genesis all over again. But this time, I trust that the Lord will open your eyes to see the purpose of man -even your purpose- scattered all over scriptures. I also strongly recommend that you read The Purpose Driven Life, a book by Rick Warren (that book blessed me in more ways than I can count)
The specific purpose of man
This is the individualistic purpose of a man. It is specific to you and will be different from that of others. While many have suggested things like self assessment and self discovery as tools for discovering your specific purpose, I personally believe that this part of purpose can only be discovered through one way and one way alone- fellowship.
Although self assessment/discovery is good and can help you discover your strengths, weakness, talents, skills etc., it is no substitute for fellowship. The 'specific part of purpose' is so specific that it will take listening to the heart of the father for you to hear it.
Hearing God is not for special people or spiritual giants only. You also can hear God. Yes you!!! As we fellowship with God more and more e.g through prayer, studying the word, spending time in his presence, we become more sensitive to hearing his voice.
Fellowship with God sharpens your sensitivity to his voice.
As I conclude today's article, I encourage you to sincerely and intentionally open up your heart to God and to his word and allow him show you his purpose for your life. I know it can be frustrating and discouraging not knowing the next step to take. I can almost hear someone screaming "I have done all I know how to do. What else do you want me to do?"
The secrete is although all may not be clear yet, as long as you keep seeking God, his kingdom and his righteousness with a sincere heart, your tomorrow will be alright.
I hope the read was worth your time.
Please do well to comment (it really is an encouragement). I say a big thank you to everyone that has commented in past articles.
Also feel free to ask your questions in the comment box and if this piece has been a blessing to you, please remember to share with others.
Changing the world starts with being a blessing first to one man. If this article blessed you, I'm glad I contributed to changing the world. π



This is a beautiful piece inspired by God.....I am blessed already......
ReplyDeleteGreat piece Pastor Sam. Thank you for opening the eyes of our world to this truth, God bless you mightily. Amen!
ReplyDeleteI was blessed. Thank you for the read.more Grace in Jesus name.
ReplyDeleteI'm blessed!!! Thank you so much for this!!!. More grace!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these insights sir. More grace
ReplyDelete